The first phase of the project to restore and enhance Good Hall has been completed, as the west porch of the historic structure has been removed.
The west entryway will continue to be cordoned off and available only for emergency use as the project moves ahead to replace the pillars and portico on the building. The project includes refurbishing the buildings historic façade and six trademark columns, and crews have been careful when removing the structure to preserve as much of the original materials as possible. The exposed area of construction has been weather sealed and prepared for the next phase.
All academic activity in Good Hall will continue as the construction project continues into 2018.
Due to Good Halls historical significance to campusbuilt in 1904 and the Universitys only structure for the next 18 yearsthe project is being handled with a great deal of care. The building and grounds have served a variety of purposes for generations of students over the past century, and preserving these important traditions is a key element of the project. Time has taken a toll on the building as well as a tree that grows on the southwest corner of the building, however.
Facilities has been monitoring this beloved tree for some time as the trunk has decayed through the years. This catalpa tree holds significant sentimental value for our campus community, and extensive efforts were taken to curtail the decay and salvage the tree. Unfortunately, a gaping hole in the base of the tree has become a safety hazard for the building as well as anyone who walks near the area. Following an inspection by an arborist, it was determined that the tree will need to be removed.
To honor the importance of this tree, Facilities is working with students from the Earth, Environmental and Sustainability group to plant a new tree in the area to allow future generations of students to build their own traditions and connections with Good Hall in the future.