Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Five things you didn’t know about Mike Nolot

Michael Nolot

Mike Nolot, technology planning manager with Information Technology, recently received his Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. He celebrated his third anniversary with the University of Indianapolis in April 2018.

As an Indiana State University alum with a degree in electronics and computer technology, he was recruited out of college to work in the MIS department of a large retail pharmacy company.

“In the old days, Management of Information System (MIS) was the designation for current day IT departments.  I began my career in IT by supporting application software used in pharmacy stores to dispense medications,” Nolot explained.

He’s currently working on the implementation of Ellucian’s Degree Works software, which is a  comprehensive advising and degree-auditing tool that will provide numerous benefit to students, advisors, and faculty.  He is also involved with the current software upgrade of the Banner ERP system.

Nolot began his PMP certification in fall 2017 and passed the exam in April 2018, achieving a longtime professional and personal goal. “Suffice to say that there was a great deal of preparation and study involved during the process.  You receive training and education in five project management processes – planning, initiating, implementing, monitoring and controlling, and closing.  You are then tested on all aspects of project management practices, both theoretical and practical,” he said.

“Going through this process proved to myself that I still had the self-discipline and perseverance needed to accomplish my goal,” Nolot added.

Five questions:

What’s the most rewarding part of your job?
“I enjoy the opportunity to work with several multi-disciplinary teams from across campus on varied projects.  This has allowed me the privilege of working with many amazing higher-ed professionals that are dedicated, knowledgeable, and fun to work with.”

What is the most challenging part of your job?
“The most challenging aspect of my job is balancing my time across multiple concurrent projects.  Project management is many things, but routine is not one of them. Every day presents new challenges and opportunities.”

If you could switch your job with anyone else within UIndy, whose job would you want?
“I would love to someday trade my role in IT for the opportunity to be in front of the classroom as an adjunct faculty.  Sharing your experience and knowledge with students through teaching would be a tremendous experience.”

What advice would you give to faculty, staff or students about technology at UIndy?
“I would recommend due diligence in research before adopting new technology.  The lure of having the newest software apps or owning flashy hardware is often too great to resist.  Make sure there is an underlining benefit to the student experience or learning outcome before investing in “shiny” new gadgets or technology.”

Favorite piece of technology equipment:
“Part of my responsibilities include coordinating and leading conference calls during project meetings.  I have been provided access to a Jabra communication device that connects to my computer and provides audio capabilities that replaces the need for scheduling and coordinating the use of a conference phone.  This is a relatively cheap piece of technology but a game changer for me to do my job more efficiently.”

Bonus questions:

Windows or Mac:
“Windows.”

Favorite city:
“Orlando, Florida.  Home to the happiest place on earth – Disney World.”

Least favorite food:
“Any frozen meal that can be nuked and ready to eat in minutes. Convenience is not my top priority when it comes to good food.”

Favorite quote:
“There is an old Yiddish adage that translates to ‘Man plans and God laughs.’ It simply means that life is unpredictable despite all of our efforts in planning our destiny.  I am, by my own admission, a ‘control freak.’ I often need to be reminded of this bit of wisdom.”

Android or iOS:
“iOS (for now).”

Favorite board game or video game:
“I love the original Clue board game. (Colonel Mustard, with a knife, in the Study)”